Google Analytics

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Week 2: Part 1 - Overview of Social Media

In my opinion, Facebook and Instagram seem to be the social media platforms geared towards personal use.  The reason I think this is because I personally have spent time on Facebook and just about everybody I know, except my parents, are on there. Even though I’m not on Instagram most everyone I talk to, especially younger adults, are. I’ve heard how easy Instagram is to use and that its primarily photos, which many people like to share. 

The nice thing about Instagram that is you can scroll through a lot of different posts quickly without stopping and spending so much time reading individual posts like on Facebook. I believe both Facebook and Instagram can also work well for business marketing because the majority of people are on at least one of these platforms. I definitely think there is an older demographic on Facebook as well as an overall larger number of people on Facebook.  The decision of whether to use one platform over another will be influenced by a business’s target market and also what type of business. 

Both these social media platforms are suitable for reaching a wide range of people on a much lower budget than traditional marketing. While Facebook can have full text, photos and videos I believe Instagram is mostly pictures, possibly videos, and little to no text. Depending on the business one has and how and what they plan to market, either Facebook or Instagram would be a great platform.

6 comments:

  1. You have some great points! Facebook and Instagram are two very common websites everyone uses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You touched on a point that I made on this week's blog regarding age demographics. Instagram now has new updates that make their platform sort of a cross bread between Facebook and Snapchat. Their stories has the authenticity and spontaneity that snapchat offers over facebook. Their live videos, if used wisely offer an exciting perspective, sort of like the videos showing someone opening up a new present? You should check out the highest grossing youtuber Ryan. He's like maybe 8 years old, and his presentation is opening up presents and unboxing the toy. He plays with it and talks to you like you're a friend standing by. What I find interesting is how marketers and PR companies are launching their products with highly detailed unboxing just for influencers to share on their live feed and insta stories. Just when I've figured out one platform, they go changes things up on me, lol! I guess that's the fun part, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele,

    I like the blurred background of your blog. I don't use my Instagram at all. I'm hoping to get inspired through this class to use it on a more consistent basis.

    Best,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Your'e absolutely right, Instagram is easier to scroll through instead of getting caught up in reading a lot of text. This is something that I like! For my business Instagram has proven to grab the attention of our consumers better than Facebook, but this could also be user error, I hope I can learn how to use Facebook better to promote my business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you pointed out that Facebook is a great platform because virtually everyone is on it (even my grandma has Facebook) and that Instagram can be scrolled through quickly which is definitely a highlight of the app!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with you that depending in what your business and the target market will depend what social media platform you wan to use

    ReplyDelete